Thursday, August 25, 2011

Two Days into Homeownership!



So yesterday, we signed our closing documents and became homeowners.  I immediately went to the house and broke in the back door.  I drilled out the locks and ended up destroying them to get the door open (don't ask why I had to destroy them).  I changed the locks to some nice new ones.


I then immediately started on demolishing the basement walls.  After day 1, I had removed approximately 8 foot of wall and furring strips.  Believe it or not the installer used roofing nails to install the furring strips.  One corner had a crack.

 
In order to stop a small leak around the shut off valve stem, I went to Lowes and got some graphite repacking and repacked the valve stem and it stopped leaking.  I did that! (felt a little proud).  Unfortunately the knob broke off and neither Lowes or Home Depot carry a replacement knob.

This ended DAY 1.  
After Kendal and I both got off work on Day 2, we went over to the house and got started.  Kendal swung a hammer and busted through the drywall.  We were able to remove the interior wall and found that behind it the ceiling and the post were FINISHED!!
We found some more moisture and some beautiful black ants behind the wall, further confirming that I made the right decision in taking out the walls to find out what was behind them!
At the end of Day 2, we had the walls out and just need to remove the wood on the concrete.

                         

The fun continues tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment